TRIP OVERVIEW LHASA – KATHMANDU -TIBET OVERLAND TOUR
his highly rewarding overland trip through the central Tibet starts in Lhasa and ends in Nepal’s capital Kathmandu ( or vice versa ) .This is one of popular trips in Tibet which offers most of the attractions Tibet has to offer. It starts with a spectacular mountaind flight across the Himalayas from Kathmandu to Lhasa which offers views of mountains like Mt Everest .In Lhasa we explore the heritage sites, important monasteries and old traditional section of the city .Some of these attractions include the Potala palace , Jokhang temple , traditional Bharkhor market and Drepung and Sera monasteries. Leaving Lhasa in a 4WD jeep our overland Tibet tour passes through the beautiful turquoise lake Yamdrok Tso on way to Gyantse . In Gyantse we visit the famous Gyantse fort and the Kumbum monastery and drive to Shigatse where we see the famous Tashilhunpo monastery , the seat of the Panchen Lama . Our Lhasa kathmandu overland tour then pass through some high passes above 5000 m , visit the nomad camps and enjoy the unique beauty of vast Tibetan Plateau .We enjoy superb view of Everest , Cho oyu, Makalu and Shishapangma from the place named Tingri , then cross the Nepal Tibet border and drive to Kathmandu along Bhotekoshi river valley .Back at Kathmandu , we celebrate our Lhasa Kathmandu overland tour with farewell dinner.
Below you will find two different itineraries of this tour , first with Lhasa Kathmandu overland tour and second with Kathmandu to Lhasa overland tour .
Tibet Overland Tour- Lhasa to Kathmandu
Day 1 Arrival in Kathmandu , transfer to hotel.
Our guide will receive you at Kathmandu airport and transfer you to hotel. Rest or explore the interesting streets of Kathmandu.
Day 02: Chinese visa processing , guided tour of Kathmandu.
Application and collection of your Chinese visa , you will go for sightseeing tour. We cover the Kathmandu Durbar square, Swoyambhunath stupa and Bouddhanath stupa. Evening briefing about your Tibet tour .
If you are not entering Tibet from Kathmandu but from mainland China/ Hong Kong/ Chengdu etc, your tour starts from here .
Day 03: Fly ( Kathmandu/ Chengdu etc ) to Lhasa (3650m)
Enjoy the fantastic trans Himalayas flight that flies past mt Everest to Lhasa .
Our Tibetan guide receives you at Lhasa’s Gongkar airport and transfer to hotel ( 1 hr drive ) . Explore the nearby streets or rest and acclimatize .
Day 04: Guided tour of Potala palace, Jokhang temple and Bharkhor street .
The tour today covers the Potala palace of the Dalai Lamas, the holiest of the Tibetan temple- Jokhang and visit to the traditional Bharkhor street .
Day 05: Guided tour of Drepung and Sera monastery .
Visit to the two biggest Gelugpa monasteries of Sera and Drepung .
Day 06: Drive Lhasa to Gyantse (3950m) – 261 km
We drive on a 4WD jeep through fabulous scenery . Cross Kamba La pass, at 4794 meter, with a brief halt to savor majestic views of Yamdrok-tso Lake and Nazin Kang Sa, standing at 7252 m. Soon we cross another pass, Karo La at 5045m brfore reaching to Gyantse .
Day 07: Gyantse sightseeing & drive to Shigatse (3900m) – 90 km
Guided tour of Kumbum stupa and Pelkhor temple in Gyantse then drive to Shigatse . In Shigatse we visit the famous Tashilhunpo monastery, the seat of the Panchen Lamas, the second in hierarchy in Tibetan Buddhism after the Dalai Lamas.
Day 08: Shigatse sightseeing & drive to Shegar (4050m) – 244 km
It is yet another scenic day driving past small town of Lhatse and cross Gyamtso La pass at 5220m. As the route opens into plains, many monasteries and camps of nomadic herders become visible en route to Shegar.
Day 09: Shegar to Zhangmu (2300m)
You will drive past Tingri crossing Lalung La pass at 5124m and Shug La pass at 5200m. You will see breathtaking close view of mt Everest from Tingri. Along the highway , spectacular views of the Himalayan peaks of Shishapangma, Cho Oyu, Menlungtse and Gauri Shankar.
Day 10: Drive to Kathmandu (1400m) -123 km
Drive to the boarder, complete the immigration formalities. Lleave your vehicle form Lhasa at the boarder and say good bye to your Tibetan guide . Other guide from Kathmandu will receive you at the boarder, helps you get Nepal visa ( if you do not have one ) . Drive along a superbly scenic highway to Kathmandu. O/n in hotel in Kathmandu
Day 11: Fly onward destination
What Is Included:
* All airport/hotel transfers 2 nights in 4-star hotel in Kathmandu (Annapurna or similar category hotel) on B.B basis
* Welcome and farewell dinners
* All accommodation and meals during the trek
* Transporting from kathmandu to besi sahar by private car and back from pokhar to kathnadu same service.
* An experienced English-speaking trek leader (trekking guide), assistant trek leader (4 trekkers: 1 assistant guide)
and Sherpa porters to carry luggage (2 trekkers: 1 porter) including their salary, insurance, equipment, flight, food and lodgings.
* All necessary paper work and permits (National park permit, TIMS )
* A comprehensive medical kit
* All government and local taxes
What Is Not Included:
* Nepal Visa fee (bring accurate USD cash and two passport size photographs )
* Airport departure tax (Rs. 200 per person)
* International airfare to and from Kathmandu
* Excess baggage charges
* Lunch and evening meals in Kathmandu or Pokhara (and also in the case of early return from the mountain than the * scheduled itinerary)
* Extra night accommodation in Kathmandu and Pokhara because of early arrival, late departure, and early return from the mountain(due to any reason) than the scheduled itinerary
* Travel and rescue insurance
* Personal expenses (phone calls, laundry, bar bills, battery recharge, extra porters, bottle or boiled water, shower etc)
* Tips for guides and porters