TRIP OVERVIEW MAKALU EXPEDITION
Mt. Makalu, the world’s 5th highest mountain, lies between Everest and Kanchanjunga, on the Nepal – Tibet border. One of the eight-thousanders, Makalu is an isolated peak whose shape is a four-sided pyramid. Makalu has two notable subsidiary peaks. Kangchungtse, or Makalu II (7,678 m) lies about 3 km (2 mi) north-northwest of the main summit.
We ascend Makalu via the North-west ridge and set up 4 high camps on the mountain. Lying in north-east region of Nepal, Makalu Peak is an impressive mass of red granite and close to Mt. Everest. The French team led by Jean Franco first climbed Makalu in 1955. Makalu has proved to be a challenging climb, as only five of its first sixteen attempts were successful. Though there are several routes on the mountain, we choose less-trodden unfrequented route above the Arun river that leads to the beautiful Barun valley.
Makalu Expedition Itinerary
Day 01: Arrival Kathmandu, Nepal and transfer to hotel
Day 02: Preparation day for expedition
Day 03: Preparation & Briefing for expedition in Ministry of Tourism
Day 04: Fly Kathmandu to Tumlingtar & trek to Khandbari (1040m)
Day 05: Trek to Chichira (1750m)
Day 06: Trek to Num (1560m)
Day 07: Trek to Sedua (1500m)
Day 08: Trek to Tashi Gaon (2100m)
Day 09: Trek to Kauma (3470m)
Day 10: Trek to Mumbuk (3520m)
Day 11: Trek to Nhe Kharka (4320m)
Day 12: Trek to Merek (4100m)
Day 13: Trek to Sherson (4615m)
Day 14: Makalu Base Camp (4870m)
Day15:-44: Climbing Period- Mt. Makalu
Day 45: Trek to Merek (4100m)
Day 46: Trek to Mumbuk (3520m)
Day 47: Trek to Kauma (3470m)
Day 48: Trek to Tashi Gaon (2100m)
Day 49: Trek to Sedua (1500m)
Day 50: Trek to Num (1490m)
Day 51: Trek to Chichira (1560m)
Day 52: Trek to Khandbari (1040m)
Day 53: Trek to Tumlingtar and fly to Kathmandu (1340m)
Day 54: Free day in Kathmandu
Day 55: Transfer to airport to connect departure flight for onward journey
Note: Please contact for the expedition cost and expedition booking form. We will provide the appropriate cost as per the group size and service requirement
• All land transportation as per itinerary
• Flight Kathmandu-Tumlingtar-Kathmandu
• Hotel Accommodation in Kathmandu
• Meals and accommodation during trekking and mountaineering
• TIMS card & Makalu Barun Conservation Area Permit
• Mountaineering guide,supporting Sherpas and porters.
• Evacuation service in case of emergency
• Insurance for Nepali Mountaineering crew
• Equipment allowance, daily allowance for Liaison officer, expedition crew
• Farewell dinner with cultural dance
• Expedition Fee
• Personal equipment for climbing & trekking
• Personal & medical Insurance of expedition
• Climbing food, Gas & stove above Base camp.
• Lunch & dinner in Kathmandu.
• Emergency Rescue evacuation by helicopter in case of emergency
• Walki Talkie permit & Satellite phone (pay by calls)
• Oxygen & Mask –regulator
• Personal Insurance
• Personal expenses
• Bar Bills & beverage
• Garbage Deposit USD 3000.00 (Sharing basis) and Deposit fee will be not refunded if the clients (climber) don’t take back their garbage to Kathmandu.
• Tips for all expedition crew.